“Leitis in Waiting” Oakland Premiere at OMCA
May 2, 2019
Join CAAM at the Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) for the Oakland premiere of the extraordinary documentary, LEITIS IN WAITING during Friday Nights @ OMCA and a special panel featuring professor and filmmaker Tina Takemoto. Friday Nights @ OMCA features half-off gallery admission, Off the Grid food trucks, live music, family-friendly art activities, and more.
Part of CAAMFest’s Pacific Showcase, presented by Pacific Islanders in Communications (PIC), LEITIS IN WAITING, co-directed by Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu, Joe Wilson, and CAAMFest alum Dean Hamer, this award winning documentary tells the story of Tonga’s evolving approach to gender fluidity through a character-driven portrait of the most prominent leiti in the kingdom, Joey Joleen Mataele, a devout Catholic of royal descent. Special guests in attendance include co-director Joe Wilson. RSVP here.
Tickets to the film screening: $14 General, $12 OMCA and CAAM Members
Join OMCA and the Center for Asian American Media Festival (CAAMFest) for a lively conversation with award-winning Artist/Filmmaker Tina Takemoto. With two films (SWORDED LOVE and WAYWARD EMULSIONS) at CAAMFest37 and a selected artist of OMCA’s Queer California Exhibition, we are thrilled to celebrate Takemoto’s innovated and bold artistry and storytelling. Conversation moderated by CAAM’s Festival & Exhibitions Director Masashi Niwano. This program is part of OMCA Friday Nights and is free to public. RSVP here.
- 5-9pm – Friday Nights @ OMCA Off the Grid food trucks, live music, activities for all ages
- 5:30pm– A Conversation with Artist & Filmmaker Tina Takemoto in the Lecture Hall
- 6:50pm – Introductions to the film screening begins
- 7-8pm – LEITIS IN WAITING screening (ticket required – please arrive early) followed by Q&A with filmmakers and subjects
- 7-9pm – The Seshen – Oakland own electropop/soul band will be playing at the 10th Street Ampitheater